I’m not gonna lie to you, these tales from the past are so crazy and far-fetched, they’ll make you wonder who we really are and which era we belong to. Of course, most of us don’t believe in them, but there are people, especially in rural areas, who still live and guide their lives according to these irrational beliefs.
Watch out, supernatural fans, things could get really weird! And scary!
1. If you break a mirror you will be the happy beneficiary of 7 years of bad luck.
2. If you play with a knife, the angels will run away from you, and if you play with fire, you will pee in your bed.
3. A black cat crossing your path brings bad luck, and so does a priest you meet on the road.
4. If your palm is itching, you will either receive money or you will get beaten.
5. Never tell a fisherman “good luck!”, as this will mean “bad luck”.
6. If it rains at your wedding, it means you will have a happy marriage.
7. Never give the last cigarette from your pack because this means giving away your wife.
8. If you stay in the corner of the table, you will never get married.
9. A pregnant woman should never tie a scarf on her neck, or the baby will be born with the umbilical cord around his neck.
10. Never get out of a house on another door except for the one you entered, as it will bring bad luck.
11. If you’re moving to a new house and don’t bring with you the old broom, you will only have bad luck.
12. If you spill water on the floor, never wash it with your foot.
13. If a painting falls from a wall, it means a close friend or a relative will die very soon.
14. If you start arranging the bed, never stop before finishing because it brings bad luck.
15. Never wash your hair on a Tuesday or else you will have bad luck.
16. If you leave leftovers on your plate, you will marry an ugly wife/husband.
17. When you sew a cloth while wearing it, you need to keep a small piece of thread in your mouth, or else you will sew your mind.
18. If you spill coffee, you will receive money.
19. Once you get out of the house, never look back, or else your entire day will go wrong.
20. Never leave your purse on the floor, or else you will lose money.
21. Crying at your wedding brings good luck.
22. If a cat washes her face and paws in the hallway, it means guests are coming. If the cat is washing on the threshold, you will be visited by a priest.
23. Breaking a glass will banish bad luck.
24. On your wedding night, don’t change your slippers, or you will change your man.
25. Baby’s nails should never be cut until the age of one, or else he will become a thief.
26. Never beat animals during your pregnancy, or your baby will be born very hairy.
27. Never get married in May, or else your marriage will be blown away like the leaves of the trees.
28. If you have your mouth opened while conceiving your baby, you will give birth to a girl.
29. If 13 people sit at a table, one of them will surely die before the end of the year.
30. If you keep a dry frog in your bag and wear it with you all time, it will keep epilepsy away from you.
31. If you want to make a man fall in love with you, then make him eat a cake in which you’ve put a piece of your nail.
32. If you bite your tongue while eating, it’s because you’ve recently told a lie.
33. If guests at your wedding talk about marriage after the sunset, then the groom will cheat on his bride.
34. If you have an itchy right foot, you will leave on a journey.
35. If you drop an umbrella on the floor, then there will be a murder in that house.
36. When you hear the sound of a turtle-dove, stop, turn around three times, remove your left shoe, and inside you will find a hair just like the hair of your chosen one.
37. It will grow a green melon in your stomach if you eat one of its seeds.
38. When cows raise their tails, it’ll soon start to rain.
39. If you dream of killing a bear, it’s a sign that you’re free of all tangles in your life.
40. Wear something new for Easter, and you’ll have good luck for the rest of the year.
41. If you write an exam with the same pen with which you have prepared yourself for the exam, the pencil will remember the answers.
42. If you were a bridesmaid three times, you will remain unmarried.
43. If you drop the scissors, it means your boyfriend/girlfriend has cheated you.
44. A spoon dropped it is a sign that your lover will come over.
45. If you wear a foot rabbit in your pocket, it will protect from evil spirits.
45. After you give birth, do not go over water (bridges) because you will run out of milk.
46. If a bee gets inside your house, you will soon have a guest. If you kill the bee, then the visit will be an unpleasant one and bad luck will haunt you all day.
47. Seeing an ambulance brings bad luck unless you pinch your nose right away or hold your breath until you see a brown or a black dog.
48. During spring, if you go to a party, take a sip of water. Don’t spit it, go back home walking backwards, go to your bed, and there spit the water out of your mouth; at night you will dream your chosen one bringing you a glass of water.
49. Count 100 white horses and you will marry the first unmarried man you’ll meet.
50. A swan feather introduced in your husband’s pillow will ensure your his fidelity.
51. If three people are photographed together, the one in the middle will die first.
52. If you sing before 7 AM, you will cry before 11 PM.
53. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn, you will not be cold all winter.
54. At least one window should always be opened at a funeral to allow the spirit to leave.
55. If you dream of yourself wearing false teeth, you will have unexpected help for your problem.
56. Everyone with a dimpled chin was touched by Cupid.
57. If a raven is near a sick person, then there is no chance of recovery for that person.
58. If you hit the net of a spider, you will meet a new friend.
59. Do not change the bedding on a Friday, or you will have a bad dream that night.
60. A cat sitting on someone’s grave means that person’s soul has arrived in hell.
61. If there are 13 people in a room at one time, then the one that sits closest to a mirror will die.
62. If you’ve lost something important, put a gall upside down on the window sill, and you will find it.
63. It’s not good to give animals for free because you will carry them on your back on the other side.
64. If you’re dreaming mice, you are or you will be pregnant.
65. It’s a sign of bad luck if you throw the garbage after the sunset.
66. Never make payments on a Monday, or else you will give money all week.
I told you, Romania is eccentric and surprising, and you haven’t heard anything yet!
Let me know if you like them, hate them, or if you find them weird, scary, or stupid. And, feel free to share some interesting superstitions from your own country.