Born in 2012, Travel Away is an online travel magazine dedicated to contemporary wanderers seeking unique experiences, curated trip itineraries, beautiful spaces and locations around the world, as well as the new and noteworthy in travel gear.
We're a small yet mighty team of storytellers and curators, dreamers and explorers, digital nomads and experience seekers always in search of new horizons, bold flavors, and great WiFi.
We explore. And inspire others to do the same. When we’re not out there discovering places, photographing, and testing new travel gear, we’re hard at work writing, editing, researching, curating, and doing whatever else it takes to keep a digital travel magazine running, including sipping questionable amounts of specialty coffee.
We're Crazy About
beach lounging on Las Salinas; NYC in December; sipping espressos in specialty coffee shops around the world; shopping on Passeig de Gràcia; well-designed luggage; exploring Puglia’s whitewashed town & villages; the smell of Calleja de las Flores in spring; beer spas; Melbourne’s café culture; autumn festivals in Europe; living la vie bohème in Comporta; landscape hotels; Amalfi Coast; affogatos; wandering around shopping villages; outdoor cinemas; sunsets in Oia; gaining weight in a Nutella café; gallivanting the cobbled small-town streets of Europe; escaping reality in a design-led Bali retreat; doing nothing at a chringuito in Tarifa.
We’re present on all major social media networks. You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and flip through our magazine on Flipboard. We also manage a pretty cool Tumblr where we curate the best in design.
Join Our Team
Got a story to tell? We'd love to hear all about it!
We are looking for travel writers, passionate photographers, and dedicated researchers to join our team. We welcome original, well-written travel articles on a variety of topics. Before pitching, please take the time to read the information below to make sure your idea is in line with our editorial goals.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- High-quality travel articles covering everything from inspiring personal experiences to destination guides with a twist. Tell us about your latest mountain adventure or your favorite design stores in Copenhagen. Anything that’s fresh, authentic, and shows off your local knowledge will do.
- We love stories that are off the beaten path and filled with quirky little gems not found in travel brochures. We also encourage creativity and new, distinct perspectives on popular destinations.
- If you have a unique roundup idea, don’t hesitate to share it with us. We’re crazy about listicles, just make sure you avoid basic stuff like “10 Things to Do in Paris”.
- Reviews. All kinds.
- We value pieces based on your own experience and knowledge that are useful and informative for readers.
- We are also interested in well-researched data-driven content, eye-catching photo essays and videos, insightful how-to guides, and relevant interviews.
- Passionate about food & drink? Wild about gear & gadgets? Or have a keen eye for everything well designed? We’d love to hear from you.
- We always keep an open mind, so if you think your idea would be perfect for our readers, just send it over.
WHAT WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR
- Duplicated content. Search engines don't like it, and neither do we.
- Unsolicited articles that promote a brand or a product.
- Standard guidebook descriptions.
- Press releases.
- Pitches from companies and PR representatives.
- Racist, sexist, or discriminatory writing.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Compensation based on topic, complexity, word count, and experience.
- A platform to share your story, knowledge, and skills.
- Exposure. Your article will be visible to over 200k+ monthly visitors, shared on all our social media channels (170k+ followers), included in our newsletter.
- Dedicated Author Page with profile photo, bio, and links to your social media accounts and website.
- We only accept content that is 100% original, accurate, and not published anywhere else.
- Articles must be written in American English, using the Oxford comma.
- All content must be proofread and copyscape checked before submitting.
- Stories should be anywhere between 800 and 2,000 words (ideally between 1,200 and 1,600 words).
- We reserve the right to edit the articles before publishing and introduce links if these add value to the content.
- Accompanying photos are appreciated, but not required (we do not pay extra for photos). If you do want to illustrate the article, make sure all images are high resolution and belong to you or have the rights to use them.
- Please keep in mind that while we do read every email, we’ll only get back to you if it’s something we’re interested in publishing, so make sure you include all the relevant information you have in your pitch.
Please use the contact form to get in touch with us!